Charles Foster: Against Nature Writing

You're receiving this email because you are a DailyGood subscriber.
Trouble Viewing? On a mobile? Just click here. Not interested anymore? Unsubscribe.

DailyGood News That Inspires

September 10, 2022

a project of ServiceSpace

Charles Foster: Against Nature Writing

The limits of your language are the limits of your world.

- Ludwig Wittgenstein -

Charles Foster: Against Nature Writing

"There's a wood near us. I can't see the wood for the words. Probably the wood is wonderful. My intuition tells me it is. But unless intuition is knowledge, I really don't know. And even if intuition is knowledge, all that I get from my intuition is the generic assertion, "This wood is wonderful." I cant see any particulars. I can't get an uninterrupted view of a flower petal or the hair on a caterpillar's back. My words about petals and caterpillar hairs get in the way. I am appalled by the distance between a petal and the word "petal": by the dissonance between the word "hair" and a hair--let alone between the word "hair" and the hair. When I think Ive described a wood, I'm really describing the creaking architecture of my own mind." Charles Foster shares more in this thought-provoking essay. { read more }

Be The Change

Today, take a few moments to notice how your experience of the world is influenced by the words in your head.


COMMENT | RATE      Email   Twitter   FaceBook

  Related Good News

Smile Big
Love Freely
Meditate
Give Back

The Keys to Aging Well

Translating Meaning Into Life: A Taoist Parable

Thich Nhat Hanh: Ten Love Letters to the Earth

Amanda Gorman: The Miracle of Morning

Smile Big
Love Freely
Meditate
Give Back

Peace Is Every Step: Thich Nhat Hanh's 95 Year Earthwalk

Stolen Focus: Why You Can't Pay Attention

The Really Terrible Orchestra

ThanksBeing with Rumi


DailyGood is a volunteer-run initiative that delivers "good news" to 161,945 subscribers. There are many ways to help. To unsubscribe, click here.


Other ServiceSpace projects include:

KindSpring  //  KarmaTube  //  Conversations  //  Awakin  //  More

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to save money.